SPONSORED BY STATE FARM
With all of the holiday cooking taking place this season, it’s important to be mindful of the disasters that can easily happen when you’re busy in the kitchen.
Follow the expert tips from State Farm below so ensure a delicious, safe Christmas dinner.
Prevent kitchen fires.
Play close attention to what you’re doing and to your surroundings.
Keep flammable items, such as oven mitts and towels, away from the stove.
Store a small fire extinguisher nearby.
If a stove top fire starts, turn off the burner. Cover a grease stove top fire with a lid (water can spread the fire).
Install smoke detectors, but keep them at least 10 feet from your stove to reduce the chances of false alarms. Test detectors monthly.
Beware of burns.
Turn pot handles in so they won’t get knocked.
Let microwaved food cool for a minute or two before handling.
Remove any lids carefully to avoid steam burns.
Banish bacteria that can make your family sick.
Clean your hands before and after handling food.
Wash counter tops, cutting boards and utensils with hot soapy water when switching from one food to another.
Disinfect counter tops and cutting boards regularly. Use 1 tablespoon of chlorine bleach per 1 gallon of water. Let sit for several minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
Store cleaners, soaps and sprays where children and pets can’t get to them.
If you keep them down low, lock them up or use a safety latch.
Detergent pods are especially dangerous for kids, who can mistake them for food. If you have kids under age 6, use traditional detergent.